The Fourth Sunday of Lent [Laetare] (A)
- Christ Is the World's Light (CD #897, CBW #543, HPSC #130, WIII #543)
- Christ, Whose Glory Fills the Sky (HPSC #132, CH #424)
- God Is My Strong Salvation (HPSC #165, CH #646, HH #302, ICEL #208)
- God, You Are Clothed in Light (HH #81)
- He Healed the Darkness of My Mind (WIII #749)
- Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (HPSC #199, SMH #375)
- Jesus Calls Us Out of Darkness (HH #62)
- My Song Is Love Unknown (CH #258, HH #90, WIII #439, CHB #65, SMH #421)
- Now Let Us All With One Accord (HH #85)
- O Christ, You Are the Light of Day (HH #87, CBW #723)
- Safe in the Hands of God (HPSC #291)
- Take Up Your Cross (WIII #634, ICEL #51, HPSC #309, CD #927, PMB #44, HH #68, CBW #485, CH #651, SMH #544)
- The King of Love My Shepherd Is (WIII #609, ICEL #165, HPSC #324, AH #580, CH #460, CHB #265, SMH #563/4)
- Word of God, Come Down on Earth (HPSC #355, CH #654, CBW #559, PMB #105, WIII #513)
- AH = The Adoremus Hymnal, Ignatius Press
- CBW = Catholic Book of Worship II / Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops
- CD = Cantate Domino / Hymnal Supplement, GIA Publications, Inc.
- CH = The Collegeville Hymnal, The Liturgical Press
- CHB = The Catholic Hymn Book [London Oratory], Gracewing Publishers
- HH = Hymnal of the Hours, GIA Publications, Inc.
- HPSC = Hymns, Psalms & Spiritual Canticles, out of print but excellent
- ICEL = ICEL Resource Collection, GIA Publications, Inc.
- PMB = People's Mass Book, World Library Publications, Inc.
- SMH = The Saint Michael Hymnal, Saint Boniface Church, Lafayette IN
- WIII = Worship, 3rd Edition, GIA Publications, Inc.
- "Be in My Seeing;" (Wayne L. Wold) [Selah Publishing Co]
- "Behold the Lamb of God" from Messiah (G.F. Handel)
- "By the Pool of Bethesda" (Leo Sowerby)
- "God Is My Shepherd" (Antonin Dvorak)
- "God So Loved the World" (John Stainer)
- "God Was in Jesus" (Johannes Herbst) [Boosey & Hawkes]
- "Greater Love Hath No Man" (John Ireland)
- "Laetare Jerusalem" (Gregorian chant) Proper Introit for Lent IV [Liber usualis, p.559]
- "My Shepherd Will Supply My Need" (arr. Marie Pooler, arr. Virgil Thomson)
- "Now Are Ye Light in the Lord" (Healey Willan) [Concordia]
- "O God, Thou Faithful God" (Johannes Brahms)
- "O Savior of the World" (John Goss)
- "Sitientes, venite ad aquas" (T.L. de Victoria) [Ricordi]
- "Surely He Hath Borne Our Griefs" (R. Evan Copley)
- "Surely He Hath Borne Our Griefs" from Messiah (G.F. Handel)
- "Suscepit Israel" from Magnificat in D (J.S. Bach)
- "The King of Love My Shepherd Is" (arr. Eugene Englert) [GIA Publications]
- "The Lord Is My Shepherd" (G.A. Homilius) [Broude] (John Rutter) [Oxford] (C.V. Stanford)[Novello]
- "The Lord My Pasture Shall Prepare" (William Billings) [Concordia]
- "The Twenty-third Psalm" (Franz Schubert)
- "Tristis est anima mea" (G.B.Martini / ed. Andrea Angelini) CNP Catalog #7095
- "Wondrous Love" (arr. Paul Christiansen) [Augsburg]
Liturgical Hints & Ideas:
- "Adagio" (Roger Nyquest)
- "Christe, der du bist Tag und Licht" (Georg Böhm) from The Church Organist's Golden Treasury, Vol.1 [Oliver Ditson Co.]
- "Christus, der uns selig macht" (J.S. Bach) from Orgelbüchlein
- "Christus, der ist mein Leben" (Sigfid Karg-Elert)
- "Hymnus tempore quadragesimali" (Samuel Scheidt)
- "Intonation and Canzona in d minor" (Michael Starke) CNP Catalog #6035
- "Kyrie/Christe/Kyrie" from Mass for the Parishes (François Couperin)
- "Meditation on Adoro te devote" (Alfred Fedak) [Selah Publishing Co]
- "Prelude on Christe Redemptor" (C. Hubert H. Parry, Healey Willan)
- "Variations on Christe, der du bist Tag und Licht" (Georg Böhm)
This is Laetare Sunday, a title derived from the opening text of the Latin proper Introit: "Laetare, Jerusalem..." (Rejoice, Jerusalem).
What an opportunity is missed if we musicians don't sing that lovely Gregorian Introit, with perhaps a note in a liturgy sheet explaining its connection with the title of the Sunday.
Of course, rose vestments should be worn, the organ should be played, and flowers (of a Lenten sort) should adorn the sanctuary.
Otherwise, this is just another Sunday in Lent.