The Second Sunday of Lent (A)
- Christ upon the Mountain Peak (WIII #701, CD #820)
- Christ Whose Glory Fills the Skies (HPSC #132, CH #424)
- God, You Are Clothed with Light (HH #81)
- How Good, Lord, to Be Here (HH #74, WIII #700)
- More Ancient Than the Primal World (HH #75)
- My God, How Wonderful You Are (HPSC #224)
- O Lord of Light, by Love Inclined (CD #819)
- O Raise Your Eyes on High and See (HH #76)
- O Wondrous Type! O Vision Fair! (HH #77, HPSC #267, CH #512)
- The Glory of These Forty Days (AH #363, CBW #581, HH #72, HPSC #319, WIII #422, SMH #559)
- Tis Good, Lord, to Be Here (WIII #700, HH #74, CH #518, CHB #100, SMH #578)
- What Wondrous Love Is This? (CD #822, WIII #600, HH #95, PMB #157, ICEL #164, CH #530, HH #95, SMH #607)
- AH = The Adoremus Hymnal, Ignatius Press
- CBW = Catholic Book of Worship II / Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops
- CD = Cantate Domino / Hymnal Supplement, GIA Publications, Inc.
- CH = The Collegeville Hymnal, The Liturgical Press
- CHB = The Catholic Hymn Book [London Oratory], Gracewing Publishers
- HH = Hymnal of the Hours, GIA Publications, Inc.
- HPSC = Hymns, Psalms & Spiritual Canticles, out of print but excellent
- ICEL = ICEL Resource Collection, GIA Publications, Inc.
- PMB = People's Mass Book, World Library Publications, Inc.
- SMH = The Saint Michael Hymnal, Saint Boniface Church, Lafayette IN
- WIII = Worship, 3rd Edition, GIA Publications, Inc.
Rubrics indicate that the organ remain silent during Lent, except on Laetare Sunday or on other solemnities or festive days or at any time to accompany singing.
Hence organ preludes and postludes should not be played (except on Laetare Sunday).
Music for non-liturgical services might be chosen from the following:
- "Adoramus te Christe" (Antonio Lotti)
- "Anima Christi" (Calvert Shenk) CNP Catalog #5110
- "Ave verum corpus" (W.A. Mozart)
- "Cantique de Jean Racine" (Gabriel Fauré)
- "Cast Thy Burden" from Elijah (Felix Mendelssohn)
- "Father, Lead Me Day by Day" (Hal Hopson)
- "Kyrie" from Missa cum jubilo (Maurice Durufle)
- "Psalm 130" (Paul Manz)
- "Remember Your Love for Me, O God" (Eugene Englert) CNP Catalog #5030
- "Surely He Hath Borne Our Griefs" (R. Evan Copley)
- "The Sorrows of My Heart" (William Boyce)
- "Tristis est anima mea" (G.B.Martini / ed. Andrea Angelini) CNP Catalog #7095
- "Wondrous Love" (arr. Douglas Wagner)
Liturgical Hints & Ideas:
- "Ah, Dearest Jesus" (Wilbur Held) from A Suite of Passion Hymn Settings [Concordia 97-4843]
- "Prelude on Rathbun" (Seth Bingham)
- "Versets for the Kyrie" from Messa della domenica (Girolamo Frescobaldi)
- "Wir danken dir, Herr Jesu Christ" (J.S. Bach) from Orgelbüchlein
- "Wondrous Love" (David N. Johnson) [Augsburg]
The Transfiguration event dominates today's liturgy.
After last week's warning of the inevitable struggle with evil (the Temptation of Christ), the Church today asks us to meditate on the glories which are ours if we but persevere and remain faithful to God and his Christ.
A touch of "glory" could invade our music today.