The Third Sunday of Advent [Gaudete Sunday] (A)
- Hark, the Glad Sound! (ICEL #5, CHB #5, CH #177, SMH #337)
- On Jordan's Bank the Baptist's Cry (AH #303, CBW #443, CH #182, HH #14, HPSC #271, ICEL #9, WIII #356, CHB #9, SMH #478)
- Rejoice, Rejoice, Believers (HPSC #287, HH #7, SMH #509)
- The Great Forerunner of the Morn (WIII #697, ICEL #209, HH #263, HPSC #323)
- The Voice of God Goes Out through All the Earth (WIII #358, HPSC #336, CBW #639, HH #24)
- When the King Shall Come Again (WIII #355)
- AH = The Adoremus Hymnal, Ignatius Press
- CBW = Catholic Book of Worship II / Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops
- CD = Cantate Domino / Hymnal Supplement, GIA Publications, Inc.
- CH = The Collegeville Hymnal, The Liturgical Press
- CHB = The Catholic Hymn Book [London Oratory], Gracewing Publishers
- HH = Hymnal of the Hours, GIA Publications, Inc.
- HPSC = Hymns, Psalms & Spiritual Canticles, out of print but excellent
- ICEL = ICEL Resource Collection, GIA Publications, Inc.
- PMB = People's Mass Book, World Library Publications, Inc.
- SMH = The Saint Michael Hymnal, Saint Boniface Church, Lafayette IN
- WIII = Worship, 3rd Edition, GIA Publications, Inc.
- "Behold, I Send My Messenger" (Healey Willan)
- "Blessed Be the Lord" (Robert Kreutz)
- "Confortemini" (Orlando di Lasso)
- "Emmanuel: An Advent Processional" (Gary Penkala) CNP Catalog #3035
- "Gaudete in Domino" (Gregorian chant) [Liber usualis, p.334] Proper Introit for Advent III -- origin of the name "Gaudete Sunday"
- "Lo, in the Time Appointed" (Healey Willan)
- "Magnificat" (Jacques Berthier / Taize Community) from Worship III #553
- "Magnificat" (Gregorian chant, tone 6) from ICEL Resource Collection #115
- "Matin Responsory" (adapted from Palestrina) from Carols for Choirs II [Oxford]
- "O Heavenly Word" from Christmas Triptych (Robert Jordahl) CNP Catalog #5119
- "Say to Them That Are of a Fearful Heart" (Everett Titcomb)
- "Ten New Carols for Advent and Christmas, Volume 1" (Gary Penkala) CNP Catalog #4010
- "Ten New Carols for Advent and Christmas, Volume 2" (Greene, Brumby, Penkala) CNP Catalog #4020
- "The Promise of Advent" (J. William Greene) CNP Catalog #5091
- "The Wilderness" (Samuel Wesley)
- "Veni Jesu" (Luigi Cherubini)
Liturgical Hints & Ideas:
Today's rose-colored vestments speak of the great anticipation with which this Sunday points to the coming celebration of Christmas. The rose candle of the Advent wreath, the Latin title for the day, "Gaudete" (Rejoice), the proper Introit beginning "Gaudete in Domino" (Rejoice in the Lord) -- all these are marvelous symbols to include in this special liturgy.
- "Advent Prelude on Merton" (Edward G. Mead) [Consoliere VI-4 - World Library Publ]
- "Es ist ein Ros entsprungen" (Johannes Brahms)
- "Freu dich sehr, o meine Seele" (Georg Böhm)
- "Fuge sopra Magnificat" (J.S. Bach)
- "Gaudeamus pariter" (Alfred Fedak) [Organist's Companion, April 1984 - McAfee Music Corp]
- "Gottes Sohn ist kommen" (J.S. Bach)
- "Herr Christ, der einig Gottes Sohn" (J.G. Walther) from Eighty Chorale Preludes [Peters]
- "Magnificat du deuxieme ton" (Nicolas Lebegue)
- "Meine Seele erhebet den Herrn" (J.S. Bach)
- "Nun freut euch, lieben Christen g'mein" (J.S. Bach, Matthias Weckmann)
- "Prelude on Bristol" (Healey Willan) [Ten Hymn Preludes for Organ, Set II - Peters]
- "Prelude on Winchester New" (Malcolm Archer)