Funeral Mass - During the Easter Season
- "All Creatures of Our God and King" (tune- Lasst uns erfreuen)
- "Alleluia! the Strife Is O;er" (tune- Palestrina / Victory)
- "Christ the Lord Is Risen Today" (tune- Llanfair)
- "Christ the Lord Is Risen Today" (tune- Surgit in hæc dies)
- "Come, My Way, My Truth, My Life" (tune- The Call)
- "For All the Saints" (tune- Sine nomine)
- "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" (tune- Duke Street)
- "Lead, Kindly Light" (tune- Sandon)
- "My Shepherd Will Supply My Need" (tune- Resignation)
- "Now the Green Blade Riseth" (tune- Noel nouvelet)
- "O Lord, You Died That All Might Live" (tune- Melita)
- "Song of Farewell" (tune- Old Hundredth)
- "The King of Love My Shepherd Is" (tune- Saint Columba)
- "The Living God My Shepherd Is" (tune- Brother James' Air)
Vocal & Choral Music:
- "A Community Mass" (Richard Proulx)
- "Communion Psalms for the Liturgical Seasons" (Gary Penkala) CNP Catalog #3020
- "Gospel Acclamation for Ordinary Time" (Gary Penkala) CNP Catalog #3055
- "My Shepherd Is the Lord" (Rev. Joseph Gelineau) [GIA Publications]
- "Psalm 25" (Christopher Bord) CNP Catalog #1025-1
- "As the Hart Longs" (Felix Mendelssohn)
- "Bless the Lord, O My Soul" (M. Ippolitoff-Ivanoff)
- "Blest Are They Whose Spirits Longs" (Handel / Hopson)
- "But the Lord Is Mindful of His Own" (Felix Mendelssohn)
- "Christ Rising Again" (Thomas Tomkins, Christopher Tye)
- "Come, Thou Faithful Servant" (Claudio Monteverdi)
- "Ego sum panis vivus" (William Byrd, G.P. Palestrina)
- "Exaudi Deus" (Giovanni Croce)
- "God Is My Shepherd" (Antonin Dvorak)
- "Hope Thou in God" (Felix Mendelssohn)
- "I Am the Resurrection" (Thomas Morley, Healey Willan)
- "I Heard A Voice from Heaven" (William Billings, Thomas Tomkins)
- "I Know That My Redeemer Liveth" (J.M. Bach, G.F. Handel, Thomas Morley, Flor Peeters)
- "If God Be for Us" (Melchior Franck, Heinrich Schütz)
- "In paradisum" (Gregorian chant) [Worship III Hymnal #178, Adoremus Hymnal #572, Collegeville Hymnal #411, Catholic Book of Worship II #599, Liber usualis p.1768]
- "Justorum animæ" (Colin Brumby, William Byrd, Orlando di Lasso, C.V. Stanford)
- "Like As A Father" (Luigi Cherubini)
- "My Shepherd Will Supply My Need" (arr. Virgil Thomson)
- "O God, Thou Art My God" (Henry Purcell)
- "O sacrum convivium" (Eugene Englert) CNP Catalog #5083
- "Psalm 122" (J.P. Sweelinck)
- "Requiem æternam" (Martini / Penkala) CNP Catalog #5092
- "See What Love the Father"from Saint Paul (Felix Mendelssohn)
- "Sicut cervus" (Palestrina / Angelini) CNP Catalog #7090
- "Tantum ergo Sacramentum" (Christopher Bord) CNP Catalog #5099
- "The Call" (Ralph Vaughan Williams)
- "The Gate of Heaven" (Randall Thompson)
- "The Lord Is My Light and My Salvation" (Eugene Englert) [GIA Publications]
- "The Souls of the Righteous" (T. Tertius Noble, Ralph Vaughan Williams)
- "The Sufferings of the Present" (Melchior Franck)
- "The Twenty-third Psalm" (Franz Schubert, Ralph Vaughan Williams)
The Ceremonial of Bishops, the most recent complete liturgical document from the Holy See, instructs that the organ remain silent during Funeral Masses, except to accompany singing.
There should be no flowers on the altar, and the music of the organ or other instruments is permitted only to assist the singing. [#824]
Hence organ preludes and postludes should not be played.
Liturgical Hints & Ideas:
Liturgical music at funeral Masses is always difficult to program.
So much of the congregation may be non-Catholic or from other Catholic parishes.
Choose simple, familiar music if the congregation is expected to sing responses and hymns.
Never force people to sing; this is a difficult time for the family.
They may be able to pray better through listening than through active (and perhaps awkward) participation.
A cantor/soloist or a funeral choir can be very helpful in providing inspiring music, but should at all cost avoid senitmental selections designed to do no more than elicit tears.
During Eastertide, hymns and music with a resurrection theme are certainly very appropriate.