Use: Christmas, Lent, Holy Week, Easter
Required Resources: organ
Dr. Colin Brumby is well-known in his native Australia and beyond not only for his masterful vocal, choral and orchestral works, many written as premieres for special occasions, but also for his superbly crafted small works -- pieces suitable for the humble church choir and average organist.
Never in simplifying his "required resources" does he foresake the expert skill he brings to composition.
The chorale preludes in this volume are no less worthy music than Dr. Brumby's grandest symphony.
He sets noble music for the Church, music in the baroque style, written on five chorales from the German tradition.
- In dulci jubilo [for Christmas]
- Wie schön leuchtet der Morgenstern [for Epiphany]
- Valet will ich der geben / Saint Theodulph [for Palm Sunday]
- O herzlich tut mich verlangen / Passion Chorale [for Holy Week]
- Ershienen ist der herrliche Tag [for Easter]
While all in Baroque style, the preludes offer variety in their setting: one as a trio with pedal cantus firmus, two as fughettas for manuals, two with solo melody accompanied by manual and pedals.
Order #: 6025